Saturday, January 4, 2014

Laurie Simmons real house for sale

We all know and love the Kaleidoscope House created by artist Laurie Simmons and architect Peter Wheelwright, but I stumbled upon Laurie Simmons' real house in Tribeca New York that is on the market for $6.25 million. The house was featured in her daughter Lena Dunham's movie Tiny Furniture (yep, Lena Dunham of Girls fame). You can check out more pics of the 2 bedroom 2 bath loft here.



"The family that comes with the house is based on the two designers and their children."
"Our individual work in photography and architecture has focused on these issues, and the promptings of our respective children have often figured in our thinking." - Simmons/Wheelwright

For years I had assumed Laurie and Peter were a husband/wife duo because of the references to "their" and "our" children. I mistakenly thought meant belonging to both of them and not their respective kids. Laurie Simmons is married to artist Carroll Dunham and "their" two kids are Lena and Grace. Back when the Kaleidoscope House was being created Lena would have been around 14 or 15 years old and Grace 8 or 9. I'm guessing the smallest of the girl dolls was modeled after Grace, but I'm still trying to figure out which doll was modeled after Lena. Any guesses?

5 comments:

  1. I haven't seen Tiny Furniture yet and wasn't prepared to spend the $28 on the DVD having only seen the trailer. Anyone seen the movie and care to comment on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are really only a couple of scenes with tiny furniture. The movie is about a girl returning home after graduating college and the angst of figuring out what she wants to do, finding a job, dating and family dynamics. As the movie is filmed in her family home, it does show her parents art work in the background. At the beginning of the movie the girl comes home to find her mom doing a photo shoot of her sister's feet in heels standing in the middle of miniature couches and chairs. Not a dollhouse scene just furniture around feet. In another scene she is laying on the floor pushing around miniature furniture in her mom's studio. The movie was okay, not great. My favorite part was in the scene where she's on the floor, behind her you can see her mom's shelves with plastic boxes filled with color coordinated miniature furniture. I would have loved to have been in that studio peering into all of those boxes. I have to imagine she has quite the collection of miniatures. I wouldn't spend $28 on the DVD, but US people can watch it online at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Tiny-Furniture-Lena-Dunham/dp/B0078YX2A6/ref=sr_1_2

      Delete
  2. I almost watched it on Hulu but it was on Hulu+ and I don't have that kind of account. I liked Dinner for Schmucks with the tiny scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks. I forgot about Dinner for Schmucks. I have to rent that. I have Amazon Prime so I watched Tiny Furniture for free there. :D

      http://www.amazon.com/Tiny-Furniture-Lena-Dunham/dp/B0078YX2A6/ref=sr_1_2

      Delete
  3. I always thought the mini-Lena was the girl in the brown camisole top.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message after the... BEEEEEEEEEP.